Permanent academic and non-academic staff members should submit a duly completed application form and the University Identity card, for staff registration. In addition, staff members are required to submit a copy of their appointment letter to the library, prior to their registration.
Download: APPLICATION FOR STAFF REGISTRATION
Students are registered by the library once they receive the University Identity card.
University Identity Card works as evidence either you are a student or staff in this university. Do not hesitate to produce your valid University Identity card before entering the library.
If you are not a student or staff member in this university, show your national Identity / Passport and request the direction from the staff in front desk and visit the library office. Permission has to obtain from the Librarian or the authorized staff member in the library to access the collection.
The University Identity Card facilitates to provide access to your profile in the library management system. Hence, the University Identity Card is compulsory to borrow books from the library.
Books of permanent reference, past papers and periodicals will only be issued for photocopy purposes withholding your University Identity Card until returned the material to the section.
- Users are requested to produce their Identity Card when entering the library, borrowing books or any other time, when called upon to do so.
- Undergraduates must keep their belongings such as books, notes etc. on the shelves provided outside the library.
- No bags, cases, parcels, cellular phones, own textbooks, umbrellas etc. should be brought into the Library.
- Readers can keep their belongings in the space provided at the entrance of the library.
- SILENCE should be observed in all public reading areas.
- Seats in the Library may not be reserved or removed by the users.
- Readers are not allowed to hold discussions in the library.
- Consumption of food and drink, smoking and the use of matches or an open flame are strictly forbidden in the Library.
- No readers may enter any part of the Library to which entry is forbidden.
- Visitors to the Library are required to obtain the permission of the Librarian to enter the Library.
- Any disorderly or improper conduct or breach of regulations will render the user or borrower concerned liable to suspension from using the library.
- It is requested that all readers should avoid wearing unsuitable clothes such as shorts, caps etc. when they enter the Library.
- Prior approval in writing should be obtained from the Librarian to take photographs/video inside the Library.
- Library materials should be treated and protected as National Resources.
- Please forward your suggestions and complaints to the Librarian.
- Your corporation is appreciated to maintain an effective and efficient library service.
|Study Year||Lending Books||Reference book|
|Amount||Loan Period||Amount||Loan Period|
|1st Year||1||14 days||2||7 days|
|2nd Year||1||14 days||2||7 days|
|3rd Year||1||14 days||2||7 days|
|4th Year||1||14 days||2||7 days|
Staff of University of Colombo
|Type||Amount of books||Lending Period (days)|
|Academic Staff||Lending Books||5||90|
|Academic Staff||Reference Books||3||30|
|Academic Support Staff||Lending Books||2||14|
|Academic Support Staff||Reference Books||1||7|
|Executive Staff||Lending Books||2||14|
|Executive Staff||Reference Books||1||7|
|Non-academic staff||Lending Books||1||14|
|Non-academic staff||Reference Books||1||7|
Fines will be levied for overdue items borrowed from the lending and reference
collection as given below. No fines will be charged from the staff members of the
|Book Type||Fine per day (Rs.)|
Recall of a book
The Librarian may recall books at any time and the borrower must return books immediately when called upon to do so.
Lost and Damaged Books
- Students should report to the issuing counter, if any marks or damages to the books are found, at the time of borrowing. In the absence of such a report the books will be presumed to have been in good condition when loaned, and the borrower will be responsible and fined for any damage observed at the time the books are returned.
- Tearing off pages from a publication or any type of vandalism is strictly for bidden and it is a punishable offense. Such students will be reported to the Dean of the Faculty and the library facilities will be suspended for a period determined by the Librarian.
- The borrower will be liable to pay the full cost of replacement of a book, and other costs as defined by the university.
- Loss of a book should be reported immediately to the circulation counter by filling a declaration form available at the Library website. If the book is not found and not returned after two weeks, the borrower will be notified to pay for its replacement cost.
Universal Decimal Classification (UDC) System is followed up with the special library i.e. for nursing.